Could it really be that in all my talk of berry season and berry picking, I forgot to post my berry pie recipe? It seems I did!
LoveDog Ranch Black & Blue Pie
You will need:
4 cups fresh blackberries or blueberries or a combination of both
3/4 cup sugar (more or less to your own conscience)
3 tablespoon corn starch
2 pie shells (secret: I use store bought. gasp.)
1. Pick blackberries & blueberries. Don't skimp the triple wash. It really makes a difference!
2. Preheat oven to 425. If you are using frozen store-bought shells, pop one out of the tin to allow it to thaw flat for the top of the pie. Thaw the other in the tin.
3. Mix the berries, sugar, and cornstarch in a bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into bottom shell.
5. Cover with top shell and use a fork to crimp edges to create a good seal between top and bottom crust. Laugh at the longing eyes of your puppy dog.
6. Use a knife to make vents. These are not just for looks-- make sure you get a good clean puncture, otherwise the filling may vent out the edges*.
7. Put pie in oven on middle rack. Lay a piece of tinfoil loosely on top of the pie.
8. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
9. Remove piece of tinfoil, and place pie onto a cookie sheet. Turn oven temperature to 350, and return pie to oven for 30 more minutes on the cookie sheet, uncovered.
10. Remove, allow to cool, and admire your lovely pie. Then EAT IT! And maybe share some with your friends.
*evidently my vents didn't "vent"... but still delicious.